KENNEY FORT PROJECT
DONATE HERE TO SUPPORT THE KENNEY FORT PROJECT!
The location of the Historic Site of Kenney Fort in Round Rock has almost been forgotten. One centennial marker exists along the east bound lane of Hwy 79 (across from the Palm Valley Lutheran Church) which provides limited information about Kenney Fort. The actual site of Kenney Fort is now located within the Concord at Brushy Creek Neighborhood.
Kenney Fort was the first permanent settlement in Williamson County and was built by Dr. Thomas Kenney and his wife Polly in 1838. Kenney Fort served as a fort to protect settlers from wild animals and Indian attacks. While much history of Kenney Fort has already been lost, we know Kenney Fort was built in 1838 and continued until 1852 or later. Kenney Fort was also the site of two important historic events in Texas history in 1841 (the Texas Archives War and the site of the Texan Santa Fe Expedition).
Round Rock Preservation (RRP) is working to purchase a privately owned historic marker to mark the original location of Kenney Fort and to educate our community about this important part of Round Rock history. Concord at Brushy Creek Neighborhood in Round Rock has given Round Rock Preservation permission to install the proposed marker along Centennial Boulevard within their neighborhood, since the original site of Kenney Fort is also located within that neighborhood.
To accomplish this project, RRP must raise $2,507.07 from the community to purchase and install the marker. If additional funds are raised, they will be used to built a mobile display model of Kenney Fort which can be taken to local schools and to Pioneer Day to share the history of Kenney Fort.